Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A Tiger Tragedy

The seemingly invincible Tiger Wood struck an ethical IED! While Mr. & Mrs. Public buzz busily with excitement a hysterical Media titillates its verbal autopsy amid a fire storm of talk show hosts whipping up voyeuristic recipes ripe with gossip. The hubris of these professional busybody's absorbs the attention of the mindless and prostitutes the gossip of a busybody media by transforming it into financial profit.

Celebrity or otherwise, difficulties in a marriage are tough--for everyone. It pains me for the popular golf star and his stylish Swedish Model. Seldom does the Wedding Service transform the human heart. Translation: most couples finding their way to the altar of marriage bring considerable baggage from their differing worlds and this widely celebrated marriage relationship was no different. They brought their super-star status, including their previous lifestyles filled with numerous negatives needing negotiation if the marriage become successful and the new couple a real family. The oft-resulting children only further complicate the process.

At best, this couple invested their lives in the fruits of successful secular living, a veneer which failed to pay off in real or lasting personal values with a comfortable marriage.

I find it too much to hope that Nancy Grace, Joy Behar, and all the others of that ilk search out more important issues for exploration instead of digging around in rotten garbage. On the other hand, the insatiable appetite of the public to diet on personal tragedy and celebrity gossip seems endless.

Someone I know met Tiger Wood in the middle of the night, in her dreams. She saw him from behind her large window, pacing back and forth, all the while watching her. When she finally opened the door and asked him what he wanted, he stopped, looked her full in the face and said, “Pray for me.”

It was just a meaningless dream, I know. Yet for her, it triggered an automatic response, which she could-and-did follow. Only a dream, but dreams need not be meaningless. In her case, she followed her prompting and prayed for Tiger.

Although my estimation of Tiger has fallen a few notches, I have to admit I have not prayed for him, or any of his supporting cast. Thus, I ponder the words of Frances Barton's four line verse that says simply but succinctly,

Should I feel the need to judge how my brother fares or fails
Let me try him without grudge on the same forgiving scales
Where I balance my own cause and my purposes atone.
Father, may I weigh his flaws gently--as I weigh my own(Frances Barton).

We could go far in changing our world if we would change our own behavior. From Warner’s World, this is
Walkingwithwarner@blogspot.com

No comments: