Thursday, August 27, 2009

Our Current Economic Crisis

"AN ECONOMIC CRISIS" – Friend John wrote the following:

“The current financial chaos is having a disastrous impact on society and is affecting almost everyone, either directly or indirectly, regardless of their level of income. In the business world, bankruptcy, plant closings, lay offs and unemployment is the worst in decades. Most Churches and Christian Ministries are feeling the negative effect and for some their very survival is at stake. While this unprecedented condition in recent decades is continuing to get worse there is often nothing being said of substance to encourage the people in the pew on Sunday. The promises of Scripture with prayerful exhortations to trust the Lord, is certainly one practical way to comfort and encourage the flock in the midst of the turmoil we are in.”

John and I live in an area heavily impacted by the obvious “economic crisis--one of the more critically impacted, in fact. The church I attend is one of few in our community not laying off staff et al. It is hard for me to believe John’s statement that says “while this unprecedented condition in recent decades is continuing to get worse there is often nothing being said of substance to encourage the people in the pew on Sunday.”

Without becoming too personal, I have, among others, experienced that economic crisis. I have also found reassuring verbal and financial support. I have been prayed over, prayed for, and repeatedly experienced real concern expressed by staff and church leaders in prayers, sermons, worship, and general practice.

The church has moved into supportive ministries in the community. I observe an ongoing concern expressed in a variety of ways to individuals. Without tilting left or right politically, the pastor expresses deep compassion in sermons, counseling, and conversation, and the church has exhibited a compassionate gospel. I see our local fellowship putting its money where its mouth is.

Looking at the larger picture, I see and hear more of what I’m experiencing locally. Thus, I can only hope that what John sees where he worships expresses the exception to the rule, for I cannot imagine Jesus lacking in awareness of the crises people experience--even an economic crisis.

This is Wayne at Warner’s World,

No comments: