Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Conclusion

As Memorial Day 2009 comes to a close, I’ve been blogging for just over a year. Since I was involved in research regarding the patron saint of our church, D. S. Warner, and since I carry the same name, it was an opportunity not to be passed by. So, I launched Warner’s World on blogsite.

I have written narrative since being an introvertive teen that corresponded with numerous pen pals in distant places. I love writing, but I had no interest whatsoever when told on a listserv that I should try blogging. I think I clogged that e-community with political opinion that created too much dissension.

Since blogging, I find I like it, although I am not sure how many read me. I started out intending to offer opinions regarding aspects of peace, as opposed to war. I’ve not succeeded well in doing that, although I have argued for peace (I think justifiably), and against a political administration that introduced preemptive war as American policy--an historical first for us.

Today, I refer back to something Paul Williams wrote. He writes for the very readable religious publication Christian Standard, at Standard Press of Cincinnati. I like the magazine, and knew former Editor Sam Stone as a very fine Christian gentleman, brother in the faith, and personal friend. Sam’s son Dave later replaced Bob Russell at Southeast Christian Church in Louisville.

Enough palaver. Paul Williams wrote this about the Iraq War: Some estimate that by the time it concludes, America will have spent a staggering $2 trillion on the war in Iraq. Christian Century reminds us that with $2 trillion we could stabilize Social Security for 75 years, or provide health insurance for 10 years to every uninsured man, woman, and child in America. If we took the money overseas we could do even more. Two trillion dollars would take a big chunk out of hunger for decades to come in the water-starved regions of Africa.

That calls to mind an excellent piece by the Rev. John W. Wimberly, Jr., pastor at Western Presbyterian Church in Washington, D.C.. He makes a really strong case for WAR--No Longer an Option--John 18:1-12 (COGPF Newsletter, Spring 09).

Although Wimberly deserves a repeat, I will leave it for now with a couple of observations.
1.One can make a strong case that more wars have resulted from bad political decisions and poor diplomacy following WWI than any other single factor, except personal profit.
2. We continue to endure wars because war is profitable for arms manufacturers and those who profit from violence.

Eisenhower warned against the dangers of the “military-industrial complex” in 1961. Harry Truman, says Wimberly, followed the money and uncovered the “war-profiteering in World War II.” No one has yet to follow the Iraq War money but tracking it would reveal enormous profits by a few--names I have heard often in the news.

Proper investment of the $2 trillion we put into the Iraq War would have eliminated the major problems facing our warring world today. Just today I heard a Vietnam veteran interviewed and he admitted that his war experience is still with him every day this many years later. Noting Arlington National Cemetery, and others like our Fort Custer National Cemetery in Battle Creek, and I conclude at the end of this Memorial Day that we have paid too dear a price for pricey profits for a few and for the insufferably bad politics of selfish diplomacy.

When will we join forces and insist that WAR IS NO LONGER AN OPTION? Wayne
From Warner’s World

No comments: