Sunday, April 21, 2019

THE CROSS AND THE CROWN


FRIEND KIM RAISED THE QUESTION:  

How has the Risen Savior affected your way of thinking and living....
Easter Sunday found me awaking to the strains of Isaac Watts going through my head, time and again. It comes via his musical response to R. E. Hudson’s poetic meditation. I find it in my old 1940 Broadman Hymnal, edited by B. B.McKinney, longtime Professor at the School of Music where I was blessed to spend five years in Seminary (SWBTS (P. 112). Southwestern was not my church Family but those years affirmed a common faith all Christ Followers share in common – one faith, one Lord, one baptism (Eph 4). Read slowly … thoughtfully … personally, and note the markings.

Alas, and did my Saviour bleed?
And did my Sovereign die? 
Would He devote that sacred head
For such a worm as I?

Was it for crimes that I have done,
He groaned upon the tree?
Amazing pity! Grace unknown!
And love beyond degree!

Well might the sun in darkness hide,
And shut his glories in,
When Christ the mighty Maker died
For man the creature’s sin.

But drops of grief can ne’er repay
The debt of love I owe:
Here, Lord, I give myself away,
‘Tis all that I can do.
_____ Chorus_____

At the cross, at the cross, where I first saw the light,
And the burden of my heart rolled away;
It was there by faith I received my sight,
And now I am happy all the day!

But that was not the end! THAT WAS THE BEGINNING OF THE END. .  In words that may not be quite as well known as those of Watts, are those of Matthew Bridges and George J. Elvey.

Crown Him with many crowns,
The Lamb upon His throne;
Hark! How the heavenly anthem drowns
All music but its own!
Awake, my soul and sing
Of Him who died for thee;
And hail Him as thy matchless King
Thro’ all eternity.

Crown Him the Lord of love!
Behold His hands and side—
Rich wounds, yet visible above,
In beauty glorified.
No angel in the sky
Can fully bear that sight,
But downward bends his wondering eye
At mysteries so bright.

Crown Him the Lord of life!
Who triumphed o’er the grave;
Who rose victorious to the strife
For those He came to save:
His glories now we sing,
Who died and rose on high;
Who died eternal life to bring,
And lives that death may die.

Crown Him the Lord of heaven!
One with the Father known,
One with the Spirit through Him given
From yonder glorious throne!
To Thee be endless praise
For Thou, for us hast died;
Be Thou, O Lord, through endless days
Adored and magnified.

ALL BECAUSE, He stepped out of the tomb and into my life…I bow in worship.
This is walkingwithwarner.blogspot.com

No comments: