Tuesday, February 12, 2019

COMPLETING THE PUZZLE


Science remembers Charles Kettering as the genius of electrical engineering. I remember Kettering as the electrical wizard who pio-neered in creative possibilities. I now have much of my future behind me with only a short future before me and I  am tantalized by Kettering’s declaration announcing: “I am not interested in the past; I am interested only in the future.”

Speaking to his Ohio audience, Kettering delivered what could certainly be one of the shortest speeches on record, which he concluded with this statement: “The future is where I expect to spend the rest of my life.”

Having firmly planted that seed in the heart of his audience, he sat down to a thunderous applause from his audience. His speech resonates with creativity. His vision challenges us. His focus on a positive attitude personally speaks to me for this time of my life. It calls me to spend my remaining small pocket of change as expeditiously as I know how.

It reminds me that in spite of the majority of years I have behind me, I want to spend what future I have left as profitable and expeditious as I possibly can. Kettering’s words offer me the kind of hope we all have available when we stop and take note of where God is at work.

Consider Nathan and Ann Smith, dear friends who gave their lives as full-time career missionaries, only to discover when well along in life that they faced a giant of Goliath proportions. I met Nathan while still in my teens, when I was barely away from my northern home and beginning a secondary education at Anderson College. Nathan was an older student from deep-south Louisiana, married to the daughter of Danish missionaries.

He lost that young wife much too soon in a tragic auto accident but survived his loss and later married Ann Espey, a younger sister to my friend Joe who was a fellow student friend with whom I enjoyed a long fun-filled friendship across the years.

I knew Nathan and Ann best for their long years of post-World War Two Missionary service in Japan and Korea. After spending a lifetime there they still faced their own personal Goliath. Confronted with the discovery that Nathan suffered Multiple Myeloma. They faced an adversity that takes few prisoners and leaves many victims. Nathan had very little hope for today and no promise of tomorrow. His doctors gave him six months to live, not more than four years, a road I know something about traveling on.

Several vertebrae collapsed in Nathan’s upper back as a result of his illness. Yet, he battled as vigorously as a man of his character and stamina could battle, in spite of enduring two long years of chemotherapy. Sometimes he was unable to walk for weeks at a time. He lost more than half his blood supply and, he faced eventual hepatitis that caused cirrhosis of the liver.

Shingles attacked Nathan’s right side. A few months later they struck his left side. They further weakened his immune system and created additional medical issues. His monthly chemotherapy eventually began proving effective and he began slowly mending, even regaining some strength. The cancer in his bloodstream diminished and finally, the doctors initiated oral chemotherapy that allowed discontinuing his monthly hospital visits.

Nathan could now follow a daily regimen of activities relatively pain free, but he stood four to five inches shorter than the sturdily-framed man I knew back in college, Nathan joined Ann and began traveling about the country as they together shared their common faith together and it would be sixteen more years before the Lord would receive Nathan home.

Sustained by prayer, bible reading, and fellowship, and enriched by friends and family, Nathan accompanied Ann and went whenever and wherever the church called them. By the time they visited us in southwest Michigan, I was in my final years of pastoring. It was on that occasion Nathan shared the five ideas that enabled him to maintain his faith-focus while he and Ann sought daily for the fortitude and renewal necessary to complete his journey of faith:

          1.       Find others to cheer.
          2.       Keep a positive attitude.
          3.       Eat and exercise properly.
          4.       Keep goals ahead.
          5.       Learn to relax and laugh more.

Wonderfully sustained, Nathan and Ann created a new and improved future for themselves, all the while living in God’s time and by His grace.

God utilizes that same creativity in our lives. As he blessed Nathan and Ann, he purposefully shares with us. “I know the plans I have for you,” declared the Lord to Jeremiah (29:11). All that God asks is that we patiently pick up the pieces of our hard-to-learn lessons and diligently reconstruct the circumstances of our lives and He will fill in the empty spaces and fulfill the plan He has for us.

From walkingwithwarnerblogspot.comwhat puzzle pieces is God waiting to help you find_____?

No comments: