Tuesday, January 29, 2019

This Reconciliation...

Forrest Plants once told this story that I find humorous and illustrative.

”Excuse me, can you help me?” yelled a hot air balloonist hovering above a pedestrian on the ground. “I promised a friend I would meet him an hour ago, but I don’t know where I am.”

“You are in a hot air balloon hovering approximately 32 feet above the ground” replied the observer. “You are between 40 and 41 degrees north latitude and between 59-60 degrees west longitude.”

“You must be an engineer,” said the balloonist.
“I am,” replied the woman, “How did you know?”
“Well, everything you told me is technically correct” answered the balloonist, “but I have no idea what to make of your information and the fact is I am still lost. Frankly, you’ve not been much help so far.”

“You must be in management” observed the pedestrian.
“I am, but how did you know?”
“Well, you don’t know where you are or where you are going,” she replied. “You have risen to where you are, due to a large quantity of hot air. You have made a promise, which you have no idea how to keep, and you expect those beneath you to solve your problems. The fact is you are in exactly the same position you were in before we met, but now somehow, it’s my fault.”

Relational perplexities complicate our conciliatory attempts and disrupt our efforts to co-exist as human beings. When Saul of Tarsus met Jesus on the Damascus Road it became his metamorphosis. It exploded Saul’s cocoon of Jewish traditionalism and emerged a magnificent butterfly we remember as Christianity’s Apostle to the Gentiles.

That encounter launched Saul into a history-changing, life-transforming, miracle-producing ministry as the Apostle Paul. Paul’s view of people changed from his pre-Christian days as Saul of Tarsus. He quit viewing people as human demographics, bad attitudes, wrong caste and culture. He began seeing Jews and Gentiles transformable by God’s metamorphosing. Paul discovered birthright and tradition save no one. He found God had already reconciled Jew and Gentile and “re-created” them into “one new man” (cf. Ephesians).

By making peace; i.e. by reconciling the two, he had already brought Jew and Gentile into “one body to God through the cross.” He put to death (killed) their hostility and introduced reconciliation for all humanity (2 Corinthians 5:16-20; Ephesians 2:15-16, NASV).

Reconciliation means making friendly again. It suggests winning another to our view. It describes harmonizing our different ideas, opinions, lifestyles, and cultures and this often includes our accepting the reality of our own lot in life, and being satisfied with our level of achievement. Reconciliation allows for differences, without demanding division or separation. Our differences remind us God is the author of our diversity. It was God that made us unique and different in our creeds, colors, and cultures.

God gave us our minds and hearts to reconcile—to transform--our differences. By birth, I am Caucasian--mostly German-Dutch. My early friends incuded Afro-Americans and Hebrew Americans in all degrees of orthodoxy. I knew no Hispanics and when I found myself a twenty-year-old U. S. Airman in San Antonio, Texas hearing Spanish-speaking conversation was foreign to me. In spite of such differences, we played together, attended school together; lived in community together, and each held our own views, while recognizing our mutual equality and civil worth. 

In later years, I found I had some flawed views, especially of Jews. My hometown was a tourist attraction, a resort community that catered to a large influx of urban Jews from Chicago-Detroit who vacationed each summer on our Lakeside beaches. These were older Orthodox Jews as well as more-progressive Jews. This mix shaped my early life and colored my opinions. Their views often clashed with our white-European, Anglo-Saxon Protestant Wasp culture. 

When I first encountered hardcore Confederate segregation as a young pastor in a southeastern state, it offended my social morality. When riding the San Antonio Transit Lines, I wondered why these “dumb foreigners” don’t learn to speak English, but those were my pre-Hispanic-friends days”. I had not yet learned that Hispanics were NOT all foreigners--or stupid for that matter Yet, I comfortably allowed for my German friends back home to still speak German when going to church. As I matured, I came to envy the bilingualism and celebrate our mutual differences. With new understanding, I celebrated the positive benefits of what became decades of Hispanic friendships. Acquaintance with people like Luz Gonzales enriched my life . The time came when I expected a bear hug from Luz, although his Mexican diet  led him  to enjoy eating his hot peppers as much as I liked slurping ice cream. 

Skin colors and ethnic differences do distinguish us but they need never divide us. In my young adult years, I  served for a time in the Eastern United States where I had Slavic neighbors. I noted that some of them avoided their white Bohemian neighbors. I saw that in some cities crossing a single street signaled a crossed border. Everyone had the same white skin but a different ethnicity. It was no different when I moved west, as a young married Bible-College student. I discovered to my dismay that I fell short of compliance with an old Oregon law on the books at that time that made “unlawful” my marriage of four years. It declared it illegal for a Caucasian (me) to be married to an Indian (my Oklahoma-born English-Irish Cherokee) who had enough Cherokee blood to proudly qualify as a First American--Her father drove a wagon on the “Trail of Tears.”

In later church ministry, I sometimes found it unacceptable to fellowship outside of my established Church of God Reformation boundaries. Some of my peers devalued the Christian Unity they loudly proclaimed by vigorously competing with Christian denominationalism and rejecting any mutual cooperation or fellowship. I learned that reconciliation challenges more than race relations. Social boundaries like divorce, single parenthood, or accepting welfare can still be painful and costly religious border- crossings. It became obvious to me such borders often allowed us to divide from one another because “different”, unacceptable, and even unworthy.



Our colorful shades and multiple hues of color test our being One People. Recon-ciliation calls us to mutual respect, interpersonal sensitivity, and  submission both ways. Experience reinforces for me the truth that reconciliation and Christian unity is easier to proclaim than to practice.



Years of Christian ministry and changing social mores, finally led me to a place where I found it necessary to re-evaluate my practice of marrying people. My traditional views clashed with a changing culture. Whereas I once accepted couples as they were, I found myself feeling overwhelmed by growing numbers of previously married couples, some cohabiting without marriage, some being youngsters caught with a baby en route. Few seemed what I felt “proper” candidates for marriage. I watched divorce decimate my congregation and I felt anger and frustration, and need for a moratorium. Perhaps I should no longer officiate weddings. Or, I might refer prospects to a peer. Depressed and dissatisfied, I was preaching through the Book of Romans when J. B. Phillips’ grabbed my attention: “Do not allow yourself to be overpowered with evil” Rather, “Take the offensive--overpower evil by good” (Romans 12:21, JBP). 


As if God invaded my thoughts, I heard Paul counseling “live fully alive.” Overpower evil by allowing God to re-model from the inside out. A moment of discovery transitioned into a reconciliation that anchored me more firmly in Christ Jesus rather than in my biases. Ministry became a personal reconciliation with God, without reference to achievement, ethnic origin, or other considerations. Reconciliation unfolded as God’s grace; Charis revealed God’s way of transforming me into an open channel of grace that he wanted to dispense through me--at his pleasure, not mine. 


This new concept of intimacy with Christ led to a new sensitivity to God’s call for reconciliation. Our COG Faith Community continues to grapple with varying degrees of challenge and every member is called to personally pursue non-violent means of overcoming the variety of evils confronting us. We are each called to use whatever powers of goodness we have at our disposal (cf. Ephesians 3:20).

As members of the Body of Christ, “WE” share mutual responsibility for influencing the moral consciences of individuals. Is there one word that helps us meet this challenge? Paul called it “reconciliation.” Years ago Pastor Tyrone Cushman preached to a large Youth Convention and I use here his terse conclusion: “Reconciliation -- racial, economic, family, and moral, the works.” What does the Bible say? “God was reconciling the world to Himself in Christ … and he committed us to this “message of reconciliation” (2 Corinthians 5:19 NIV). 

I am walkingwithwarner.blogspot.com … and is this not the word we have mouthed as a movement since 1880, beginning with D. S. Warner and his company of Saints? 

Our practice needs to come up to our proclamation, I believe; what do you think?                                                                                                                                                                                                                               

No comments: