Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Worship Wars

Recently I came across a used copy of Robert Weber’s WORSHIP IS A VERB. I find more books of interest than I can read, but I am interested to determine how Dr. Weber handles this subject.

I find that I strongly react against the current contemporary worship music for a variety of reasons. On the other hand, I know that such matters change in style, format, and personal taste. I am also aware that music is a vehicle for touching people’s hearts and communicating thoughts and expressions that help them relate to a personal encounter with God. Therefore, although I have some personal hearing issues with sound levels of some contemporary music, I try to keep my personal responses to a minimum.

Pastor Gary Brown recently preached a sermon to his new congregation from Ephesians 5:18-21. He titled it “No More Worship Wars.” Coming on board as the new Senior Pastor, Gary recognized worship music as a much-discussed subject among his people.

Since I have a copy of Gary’s manuscript, I may return to this later. For now, here are four points as I recorded them in the margins of my worship folder.

1. We’ve not been at war over essentials. If we’re going to war, we need issues worth dieing for.
2. A worship war is fighting a battle that has never stayed the same. Here he referred to the armies of the Hymn-ites and the Praise-ites.
3. A worship crisis is a faith crisis and he gave an extensive history of worship across the centuries.
4. He gave this affirmation: “I’m going to do my best not to dictate worship style, but also to keep you from dictating.

He concluded by inviting those who wished to do so, to come forward for prayer. For those remaining, he gathered them together by leading them in moments of meditation and prayer.

This has been a subject of wide interest in church circles. Perhaps you have a reader response. Wayne

No comments: